Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Potted guide to Hinduism

I'd feel a lot more nervous about going to India if I wasn't starting off with Aidcamps - they've sent masses of information and material on vaccinations, flights, packing lists, local conditions, and now an impressive looking guide to Hinduism - so that all of the volunteers have a good idea of what to expect from India. I still have to figure out how to get from Mumbai down to Trivandrum on my own, and find somewhere to stay on January 29, but at least I can expect to meet a bunch of people after that who may be as new to India as me, and it looks like we'll be getting a great induction into India on the Aidcamp.

I was struck with a sudden fear last night - that while the basics of planning flights and getting visas are things I can work on, I won't actually know what to do when I get to each place. I dread the idea of arriving in a country and not even getting out of a city because I don't have the gumption to get out and explore. I'm sure this won't be a problem, but I want to start looking for another volunteer project to do along the way, and at least one organised expedition, so I have things to aim for and fixed times to hang flights off.

If I'm worrying about this now, I'm going to be a pain in the neck next month...

1 comment:

nick said...

it's going to be tough, but as long as you're aware of that then you're more than adequately prepared. You're going to be in culture shock no doubt but that's part of the package of a round the world trip and I guess that's part of the appeal for most people. I think being a relatively sceptical person you should be safe and that the challenge will be evaluating the genuine opportunities for adventure and fun and making sure that you take them. The best advice I had when I lived in the US for 9 months was to take every opportunity to do something with both hands and I certainly did things there that I would normally balk at. I guess my advice it to take that advice. If you have the chance to bungee jump off the great wall of china, then go and kill a snake to cook for your tea then take it. I think it's a great idea to get this out of your system (like me) especially as you've done so little travelling. I feel much more confident about what I want these days and my trip doesn't even compare to the adventure you are about to go on. I think you're doing the toughest bit first so in a sense it will be good to get it out of the way. I can't wait to get the updates on this blog...you will doubt yourself and you will want to come home but you have the benefit of being able to move on and blaze those trails!